The Resident Assistant (RA) will assist the Director of Residence Life and the Residence Directors in enforcing housing policies and procedures. The RA will assist students in achieving an environment conducive to personal growth, which includes spiritual, social, and academic development. The RA will function as an educator and facilitator to provide residents with the opportunities for growth in these areas.
RAs will learn how to strengthen their skills and abilities while being trained to contribute to the general welfare of students residing on campus. RAs will be expected to act as friend, peer counselor, facility manager, information source, educational programmer, social facilitator, and disciplinarian. Above all, RAs are expected to exhibit a high standard of personal excellence in their moral, spiritual, and academic lives.
RAs are always to conduct themselves in an exemplary manner and should not participate in any activity which undermines Louisiana College policies and/or standards.
- Private room within assigned residence hall (if housing conditions allow) at no charge (housing scholarships will be removed from financial aid award package due to no charge being placed for housing)
- Reserved parking
- Monthly pay of minimum wage at 24.25 hours a month (8 months total)
RA positions are open to all male and female students who meet the following requirements:
- Applicants must know Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior and maintain a Gospel-centered testimony
- Applicants must be at least a sophomore by standing with Louisiana College
- Applicants must have lived in the dorm for two full semesters before applying
- Applicants must be enrolled full time at Louisiana College
- Applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5
(Resident Assistants will be required to submit GPA at the end of each semester)
- Applicants must be able to serve the entire academic year
- Applicants must not have any other employment of more than 12 hours a week unless approved by the Director of Residence Life
- Director reserves the right to override these qualifications and make any exceptions if necessary.
Training and Evaluation
- The Office of Student Life and the Director of Residence Life will provide the Resident Assistants with orientation information, skills, training, and support to carry out their responsibilities.
- Resident Assistants can expect to receive feedback and evaluation of their job performance. An evaluation will occur once per month during the academic year by their Residence Director. The Resident Assistant will also be expected to complete a job performance and evaluation of themselves each semester.
- Administration, faculty, and staff of Louisiana College will be available to support Resident Assistants through consultation, sharing of resources and previous knowledge, and carrying out discipline of students when needed.
- The Residence Life program will provide the Resident Assistants with opportunities for professional growth and development in administrative, leadership, and supervisory skills.
- The Residence Life program will assist each Resident Assistant in the pursuit of their careers through written recommendations of job performance for future employment.